Kingdom of Adventistan
Sign in to follow this  
james423

Lesson 13 - Living By the Word of God

james423

Memory Text: James 1:22 Contemporary English Version Obey God’s message! Don’t fool yourselves by just listening to it.

Sunday – The Living Word of God and the Holy Spirit

Philippians 2:12-16 Good News Translation 12 So then, dear friends, as you always obeyed me when I was with you, it is even more important that you obey me now while I am away from you. Keep on working with fear and trembling to complete your salvation, 13 because God is always at work in you to make you willing and able to obey his own purpose. 14 Do everything without complaining or arguing, 15 so that you may be innocent and pure as God's perfect children, who live in a world of corrupt and sinful people. You must shine among them like stars lighting up the sky, 16 as you offer them the message of life. If you do so, I shall have reason to be proud of you on the Day of Christ, because it will show that all my effort and work have not been wasted.

Philippians 2:13 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY God provides the stimulus that awakens our desire to be saved, that He enables us to make the decision to attain salvation, and that He supplies us with the energy to make the decision effective so that salvation is accomplished in our lives. Redemption is thus figured as a cooperative work between God and man, with God furnishing all the needful powers for man’s use.

Deuteronomy 4:4 God’s WORD Translation But you were loyal to the Lord your God and are still alive today.

Monday – Learning From Jesus

Luke 4:4 Modern English Version Jesus answered him, “It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.’

Luke 4:4 WILLIAM BURKITT’S NOTES though the devil abused scripture, yet Christ uses it... the scripture, or the written word of God, is the only sure weapon wherewith to vanquish Satan, and beat back all his fiery temptations.  The scripture is God's armory, out of which all our weapons of war must be taken, for managing our conflict with sin and Satan.

Luke 4:8 Holman Christian Standard Bible And Jesus answered him, “It is written: Worship the Lord your God, and serve Him only.”

Luke 4:10-12 Christian Standard Bible 10 For it is written: He will give his angels orders concerning you, to protect you, 11 and they will support you with their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.” 12 And Jesus answered him, “It is said: Do not test the Lord your God.”

Tuesday – Jesus Versus Scripture?

John 5:45-47 English Standard Version 45 Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father. There is one who accuses you: Moses, on whom you have set your hope. 46 For if you believed Moses, you would believe me; for he wrote of me. 47 But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe my words?”

John 5:45 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY For the Jews the Law of Moses was the basis of religion, and indeed, of life as a whole. Now Jesus points His hearers to the startling fact that if they had rightly understood that Law, they would have seen Him revealed in it. Thus they stood condemned by their greatest prophet.

Wednesday – Quiet Times With the Word of God

Psalm 37:7 New Living Translation Be still in the presence of the Lord, and wait patiently for him to act. Don’t worry about evil people who prosper   or fret about their wicked schemes.

Psalm 46:10 New International Reader’s Version He says, “Be still, and know that I am God. I will be honored among the nations. I will be honored in the earth.”

Psalm 46:10 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY God Himself speaks these sublime words. The first clause of this verse has been paraphrased: “Hush! Cease your tumult and realize that I am God.” We talk too much and listen too little. We lack Christian poise and steadiness, because of our ceaseless busyness. Moses spent 40 years in the land of Midian (Acts 7:29, 30), Paul 3 years in the desert (Gal. 1:17, 18; AA 125–128), and Jesus 40 days in the wilderness (Matt. 4:1, 2), in preparation for the responsibilities of the divine call.

Psalm 62:1-2, 5 New Century Version I find rest in God; only he can save me. 2 He is my rock and my salvation. He is my defender; I will not be defeated. 5 I find rest in God; only he gives me hope.

Thursday – Memory and Song

Psalm 119:11 Common English Bible I keep your word close, in my heart, so that I won’t sin against you.

Ephesians 5:19 Easy-to-Read Version Encourage each other with psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your hearts to the Lord.

Colossians 3:16 New Life Version Let the teaching of Christ and His words keep on living in you. These make your lives rich and full of wisdom. Keep on teaching and helping each other. Sing the Songs of David and the church songs and the songs of heaven with hearts full of thanks to God.

Colossians 3:16 COMMENTARY BY ALBERT BARNES It is true, in a more important sense, that he who is permitted to make the hymns of a church need care little who preaches, or who makes the creed. He will more effectually mould the sentiments of a church than they who preach or make creeds and confessions. Hence, it is indispensable, in order to the preservation of the truth, that the sacred songs of a church should be imbued with sound evangelical sentiment.