Kingdom of Adventistan
Gail

Revelation by Dr. Sigve Tonstad

Gail

I am ready to toss out all my other books on Revelation.

This latest release from Dr. Tonstad is the easiest yet that explains that the book of Revelation is just that- a revelation of the character of God that sets the record straight

image.jpeg

BlessedMan

Thanks for sharing this Gail. Where would one get this book from? Id be interested.

Joel Melashenko

I will be ordering this, I have a number of his books on my list. Thanks @Gail

BlessedMan
37 minutes ago, Joel Melashenko said:

I will be ordering this, I have a number of his books on my list. Thanks @Gail

Its actually available on Kindle! I just got a copy for $19.00

Joel Melashenko
37 minutes ago, BlessedMan said:

Its actually available on Kindle! I just got a copy for $19.00

Very nice, thanks for the heads up 

B/W Photodude

I usually check out the background of an author, read some of their work and where it is posted, and even read some of the comments of their readers, With all that in mind, I will pass on this book.

BlessedMan
28 minutes ago, B/W Photodude said:

I usually check out the background of an author, read some of their work and where it is posted, and even read some of the comments of their readers, With all that in mind, I will pass on this book.

are you able to share your findings here? I did a little preliminary searching, and did not as of yet find anything super-concerning.

Have you read what he says re the Sabbath? Its seems pretty sound, and echoes thoughts I have personally had about the Sabbath myself.

https://atoday.org/a-whole-new-view-of-sabbath-dr-sigve-tonstad-presents-at-music-and-worship-conference/

Lack of our emphasis on the deliverance aspects of God and how the fourth commandment, as it reads in Deut is, IMO, a huge problem in the church. Over-emphasizing of any scripture, in ways that the Bible would never do is happening, and it is destroying the church from the inside out. BUT no one wants to change anything. It would seem that  Dr Sigve is not the actual problem here.

BlessedMan
23 hours ago, Gail said:

Howdy Gail. I had a quick perusal of this book last night. I was wondering if you can offer any comment on why you have the urge to "toss out all your other books on revelation?"  After getting a surface impression of the book, I am left wondering why you were thinking that?

BlessedMan
On 6/28/2020 at 12:08 PM, Gail said:

any way we can convince you to comment more on this? I wasnt asking to argue, just would like to know. Its actually quite a good book so far. I like the ways he says things:

When Jeremiah speaks of the fall of Babylon, he is referring to the military defeat of Jerusalem’s historic enemy (Jer. 50:2; 51:8). John’s “Babylon,” by contrast, is not an entity that can be fought in military terms, and this insight will strengthen in the exposé yet to come (18:1–24). Revelation is not indifferent to the demise of “Babylon” in absolute terms, but its main interest lies in the spiritual aspiration of “Babylon.” Babylon the Great . . . made all nations drink of the wine of her passionate immorality, says the second messenger (14:8b).

Tonstad, Sigve K.. Revelation (Paideia: Commentaries on the New Testament) (p. 206). Baker Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

He brings out some very important points that we sometimes tend to gloss over. The way he describes/contrasts the good and evil is spot on with what scripture tells us. IMO

Gail
On 6/28/2020 at 11:27 AM, BlessedMan said:

Thanks for sharing this Gail. Where would one get this book from? Id be interested.

Hmm, I can’t remember. I think I ordered it from Amazon

Gail

@BlessedMan

He writes well and I have some of his other books, too. I think what I appreciate best is his ability to leave off the Adventistspeak so that everyone can have a go at understanding the Revelation. He sees a bigger picture than just the nasty Catholics  or the bad Muslims (which causes some people to get a hate-on for those believers). 

If you don’t like Jon Paulien’s take on Revelation you probably won’t enjoy this, either, although I think that Tonstad reaches farther than Paulien.

He explores the concept of whether God is the sadistic despot many people fear after reading Revelation. I believe that who we believe God is will colour our own actions. Not only that, but I also believe that by misrepresenting God as vengeful and evil we make atheists of people.

A pastor told me that a problem with the traditional Adventist understanding is trying to fit the understanding into history; some points seem to be a stretch for him to explain to non-believers.

Without giving out too many spoilers I will stop here.

phkrause

I have a few different books on Revelation and Daniel, and find none of them to say nasty things about Catholics or anything about Muslims at all one way or the other! I have a SIL who's Catholic and she used to tell my Mom that we have to be Catholic to be able to go to heaven, yet she is one really beautiful Christian. I've also in my 60 years of being a SDA have never heard one sermon that made Catholics sound like bad people either. What I have heard is other denominations that have done so and also individual SDAs that have said things that were not very nice about Catholics. As far as Jon Paulien is concerned I understand that he's one of the top interpreters of Revelation?? Having said all that I pretty much enjoy all books on D&R!!

BlessedMan
10 hours ago, Gail said:

He explores the concept of whether God is the sadistic despot many people fear after reading Revelation. I believe that who we believe God is will colour our own actions. Not only that, but I also believe that by misrepresenting God as vengeful and evil we make atheists of people.

I agree, he does a nice job on that count. I also have Paulien's books and find strengths and weaknesses in them. Its more a question for me of which i want to talk about more.

10 hours ago, Gail said:

A pastor told me that a problem with the traditional Adventist understanding is trying to fit the understanding into history; some points seem to be a stretch for him to explain to non-believers.

I have heard claims like this before, have yet to find a really good explanation of same, with reliable references. I have done my own, independent research on this aspect, and find most of the "Adventist speak" to be true; however, there is that pesky little idea of what to we do with what we know, and how do we use it?