Kingdom of Adventistan
Sign in to follow this  
james423

Lesson 4 - Prayer Power - Interceding for Others

james423

Memory Text: James 5:16 New Century Version Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so God can heal you. When a believing person prays, great things happen.

James 5:16 PEOPLE’S NEW TESTAMENT COMMENTARY We all need healing of our sins. Let the brother confess his faults as a demonstration of repentance and let brethren pray for each other. Repentance, confession and prayer are the conditions of the forgiveness of sins committed by church members.

Sunday – A Cosmic Struggle

Revelation 12:7-9 Christian Standard Bible 7 Then war broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon. The dragon and his angels also fought, 8 but he could not prevail, and there was no place for them in heaven any longer. 9 So the great dragon was thrown out—the ancient serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, the one who deceives the whole world. He was thrown to earth, and his angels with him.

Ephesians 6:12 Common English Bible We aren’t fighting against human enemies but against rulers, authorities, forces of cosmic darkness, and spiritual powers of evil in the heavens.

2 Corinthians 10:4 English Standard Version For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds.

2 Corinthians 10:4 COMMENTARY BY ALBERT BARNES The word here rendered "strongholds" (ocurwma) means, properly, a fastness, fortress, or strong fortification. It is here beautifully used to denote the various obstacles resembling a fortress which exist, and which are designed and adapted to oppose the truth and the triumph of the Christian's cause. All those obstacles are strongly fortified. The sins of his heart are fortified by long indulgence, and by the hold which they have on his soul. The wickedness of the world which he opposes is strongly fortified by the fact that it has seized on strong human passions; that one point strengthens another; that great numbers are united.

Monday - Jesus – the Mighty Intercessor

Luke 3:21 Contemporary English Version While everyone else was being baptized, Jesus himself was baptized. Then as he prayed, the sky opened up

Luke 5:16 New International Reader’s Version But Jesus often went away to be by himself and pray.

Luke 9:18 Lexham English Bible And it happened that while he was praying alone, the disciples were with him. And he asked them, saying, “Who do the crowds say that I am?”

Luke 22:31-34 New Living Translation 31 “Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift each of you like wheat. 32 But I have pleaded in prayer for you, Simon, that your faith should not fail. So when you have repented and turned to me again, strengthen your brothers.” 33 Peter said, “Lord, I am ready to go to prison with you, and even to die with you.” 34 But Jesus said, “Peter, let me tell you something. Before the rooster crows tomorrow morning, you will deny three times that you even know me.”

Hebrews 7:25 Good News Translation And so he is able, now and always, to save those who come to God through him, because he lives forever to plead with God for them.

Tuesday – Paul’s Intercessory Prayers

Ephesians 1:15-21 Easy-to-Read Version 15-16 That is why I always remember you in my prayers and thank God for you. I have done this ever since I heard about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all of God’s people. 17 I always pray to the great and glorious Father, the God of our Lord Jesus Christ. I pray that he will give you the Spirit, who will let you know truths about God and help you understand them, so that you will know him better. 18 I pray that God will open your minds to see his truth. Then you will know the hope that he has chosen us to have. You will know that the blessings God has promised his holy people are rich and glorious. 19 And you will know that God’s power is very great for us who believe. It is the same as the mighty power 20 he used to raise Christ from death and put him at his right side in the heavenly places. 21 He put Christ over all rulers, authorities, powers, and kings. He gave him authority over everything that has power in this world or in the next world.

Philippians 1:3-11 New Living Translation 3 Every time I think of you, I give thanks to my God. 4 Whenever I pray, I make my requests for all of you with joy, 5 for you have been my partners in spreading the Good News about Christ from the time you first heard it until now. 6 And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns. 7 So it is right that I should feel as I do about all of you, for you have a special place in my heart. You share with me the special favor of God, both in my imprisonment and in defending and confirming the truth of the Good News. 8 God knows how much I love you and long for you with the tender compassion of Christ Jesus. 9 I pray that your love will overflow more and more, and that you will keep on growing in knowledge and understanding. 10 For I want you to understand what really matters, so that you may live pure and blameless lives until the day of Christ’s return. 11 May you always be filled with the fruit of your salvation—the righteous character produced in your life by Jesus Christ[a]—for this will bring much glory and praise to God.

Wednesday – Unseen Powers at Work

Daniel 10:10-14 New Century Version 10 Then a hand touched me and set me on my hands and knees. I was so afraid that I was shaking. 11 The man in the vision said to me, “Daniel, God loves you very much. Think carefully about the words I will speak to you, and stand up, because I have been sent to you.” When he said this, I stood up, but I was still shaking. 12 Then the man said to me, “Daniel, do not be afraid. Some time ago you decided to get understanding and to humble yourself before your God. Since that time God has listened to you, and I have come because of your prayers. 13 But the prince of Persia has been fighting against me for twenty-one days. Then Michael, one of the most important angels, came to help me, because I had been left there with the king of Persia. 14 Now I have come to explain to you what will happen to your people, because the vision is about a time in the future.”

Thursday – Prayer Focus

1 Samuel 12:22-24 GOD’S WORD translation 22 For the sake of his great name, the Lord will not abandon his people, because the Lord wants to make you his people. 23 It would be unthinkable for me to sin against the Lord by failing to pray for you. I will go on teaching you the way that is good and right. 24 Fear the Lord, and serve him sincerely. Consider the great things he did for you.

Job 16:21 Christian Standard Bible I wish that someone might argue for a man with God just as anyone would for a friend.

1 John 5:14-16 Good News Translation 14 We have courage in God's presence, because we are sure that he hears us if we ask him for anything that is according to his will. 15 He hears us whenever we ask him; and since we know this is true, we know also that he gives us what we ask from him. 16 If you see a believer commit a sin that does not lead to death, you should pray to God, who will give that person life. This applies to those whose sins do not lead to death. But there is sin which leads to death, and I do not say that you should pray to God about that.

1 John 5:16 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY he discusses two classes of sins—those in which there is hope for the sinner and those in which there is no hope. In the first class, prayer may be an effective aid to redemption; in the second, as John later explains, there is no guarantee that prayer will be efficacious. It is generally held that the sin unto death is the unpardonable sin. Hence, a sin not unto death is any other form of sin in which an erring brother engages.

Matthew 18:18-19 Common English Bible 18 I assure you that whatever you fasten on earth will be fastened in heaven. And whatever you loosen on earth will be loosened in heaven. 19 Again I assure you that if two of you agree on earth about anything you ask, then my Father who is in heaven will do it for you.

Matthew 18:18 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY Heaven’s ratification of the decision on earth will take place only if the decision is made in harmony with the principles of Heaven. All who deal with erring brethren should ever remember that they are dealing with the eternal destiny of souls, and that the results of their work may well be eternal.