Kingdom of Adventistan

September 2020 Signs of the Times Newsletter!

bed48af2-0a67-4fed-af48-ad9a935da01c.png
September 2020 Signs of the Times Email Newsletter

The Signs of the Times newsletter is a collection of stories and quotes from past issues of Signs and These Times.

I used to think that God was behind the sinner with a double-edged sword, ready to hew him down. But I went over to England in 1867, and one Sunday night, while in Dublin, I went to hear the boy preacher. I didn’t know who he was, but he said he would like to come to America, and I looked at him, but didn’t think he could preach.
     However, he told me to write to him and let him know if I wanted him. I didn’t want him, so I didn’t write. But he came over here and reminded me of the night I met him in Dublin. I wrote him a rather cold letter, but I got another in return, saying that he probably would be in Chicago soon, and if I wanted him to preach he would preach. Well, I didn’t know what to do with him. I was going out of town just then, and so I said to the officers of the church, “I wish you would let this man preach”. They didn’t much want to, but I said, “Let him preach Thursday and Friday nights, anyway”. And so he came and preached.
     When I got back home, the first thing I said to my wife was, “How did that Irishman get along?”
     She said “Why, they like him very well; but he preaches very different from you. He preaches that God loves men”. Well, I said, “he must be wrong”. That’s what we all say when anybody differs from us.
     “Well”, said my wife, “I think you’ll like him, because he proves everything by Scripture”.
     Well, I went to hear him Sunday. And he preached from that 16th verse of the 3rdchapter of John, “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life”. And I noticed a smile all over the audience. He had preached two sermons from that text, and yet they wanted to hear another. And he went through the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, to prove that God loved man. And I noticed a great many people brought their Bibles and referred to the passages to be quoted. Monday night there was a great crowd there to hear him, and he said: “My friends, if you will turn to the 16th verse of the third chapter of John, you will find my text.” Well, there was a great smile all over the audience. [thought that was about the best sermon I ever heard]. It was better than the first one and it melted my heart. My heart went out toward the people as it never went before, and I asked God to forgive me for not having loved them better.
     The next night the crowd was still larger; and again he said: “My friends, if you will turn to the 16th verse of the 3rd chapter of John, you will find my text”. And he preached a wonderful sermon and touched a higher chord that night. The next night we went again, and thought surely he couldn’t preach again from those words, but he said: “My friends, I want to speak to you on the 16th verse of the 3rd chapter of John”. And, sure enough, he preached a sixth sermon from that text, and touched a higher chord than before. Well, the next day he got up and said, “My friends, I’ve been hunting all day long for a new text, but I can’t find one, so you will please turn to the 16th verse of the 3rd chapter of John”.
     And I remember well one thing he said: “For a week I have been trying to tell you how much God loves you, but my poor, stammering tongue is not able to do it. If I could get Jacob’s ladder and go up to Heaven and ask Gabriel if God loved man, all Gabriel could say would be: ‘God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life’”.
     And, my friends, I have been preaching a different gospel ever since. ―D. L. Moody, Signs of the Times, April 5, 1877.

Quote: “The cross is God’s only remedy and man’s only hope.”—By Charles G. Bellah, Signs of the Times, August 8, 1930.

Don't miss the October issue of Signs of the Times: To order Signs, call: 1-800-765-6955 or order online.

One night I was traveling with a friend from Ardmore to Oklahoma City. The highway we were on did not run directly through the city, and we did not know where to turn off, nor whether to turn left or right.
     “There’s a light on the top of the tallest building in the city,” my friend commented. “When we see it, we will know which way to turn.”
     We drove on and on. Finally, about midnight, we saw the light, and knew at once in which direction our destination lay.
     When we look at Christ, there is no mistaking the direction in which we should go. As long as we follow the light of His life, we may rest assured that we are traveling the right road.—By Donald A. Webster, Signs of the Times, August 10, 1954.

Quote: “The secret of happiness is to learn to accept the impossible, to do without the indispensable and to bear the intolerable.”—Unknown, Our Times, January/February 1993.

NEW from Pacific Press—Words of Hope, selections from Christ’s Object Lessons, presents the stories Jesus told and draws practical, down-to-earth lessons from common scenes, objects, and incidents of life. Learn about setting priorities, the blessing of generosity, the power of humility, the way to forgiveness and forgiving others, and how to live with optimism. This book will lead you to a meaningful experience in positive living and bring you closer to Christ, the true source of light from above. Created as a book to share with friends.

Order online or from your local Adventist Book Center--1-800-765-6955.

Major A. H. Pruchen, of Toronto, who was saved from the "Titanic," tells of how he left $300,000.00 in his cabin when the alarm was sounded telling of the disaster. He started back to get his valuables, but realizing the worthlessness of riches in a time like that, he picked up three oranges instead. “Money seemed a mockery at a time like that,” he told a newspaper man when he finally reached America.—By Charles L. Paddock, The Watchman Magazine, July 1928.

Quote: A London paper offered a prize for the best definition of money and awarded it to a young man who sent in the following, “An article that may be used as a universal passport to everywhere except heaven, and as a universal provider of everything except happiness.”—By Charles L. Paddock, The Watchman Magazine, July 1928.

Place this in your church bulletin or newsletter:  Send a GIFT that helps your friends and neighbors find hope and meaning in these momentous times. Each month Signs of the Times takes on a broken world and directs hearts to Jesus for relevant answers. The result is changed lives! Order from your Adventist Book Center. Call 1-800-765-6955 or go online at: https://adventistbookcenter.com/signs-of-the-times-magazine.html

Dr. Russell Bigelow Pope, of the Methodist Church, was an unusual Bible student, having read the Bible through one hundred' fifty times during his life of sixty years. He read it through thirty-eight times in one year, and once in one day. He read the Greek Testament through carefully once every three months. His was not a desultory or careless reading.
     Dr. Pope said that he received his inspiration to this careful study of the Word from the clerk of a drug-store where he called to get a certain medicine. The clerk went to the rear of the store, and laid his hand on the unmarked vial.
     “How do you know that is the medicine I inquired for?” asked Dr. Pope.
     “I know my store,” replied the young man.
     This experience made the minister determine that he would know as well his store of divine truth, the Word of God.—Unknown, The Youth’s Instructor, January 28, 1908.

Quote: “Every man should keep a fair-sized cemetery in which to bury the faults of his friends.”—By Henry Ward Beecher, The Youth’s Instructor, February 4, 1908.

POCKET SIGNS—carry a selection with you at all times. CLICK HERE to see the large assortment of tracts!

Someone has said that fear, worry, and anxiety are our greatest enemies. Recently I read a fascinating story: “According to an ancient legend, a peasant man driving one day to Constantinople was stopped by an old woman, who asked him for a ride. He took her up beside him, and as they drove along, he looked at her, became frightened, and asked, ‘Who are you?’
    “The old woman replied, ‘I am Cholera.’
    “Frightened, the peasant ordered the old woman to get down and walk, but she persuaded him to take her along, upon her promise that she would not kill more than five people in Constantinople. As a pledge of the promise she handed him a dagger, saying to him that it was the only weapon with which she could be killed. Then she added: ‘I shall meet you in two days. If I break my promise, you may stab me.’
      “In Constantinople 120 people died of the cholera. The enraged man who had driven her to the city searched for her. When he found her, he raised the dagger that she had given him to kill her. He shouted, ‘You promised that you would not kill more than five people, and 120 died.’
     “But she stopped him, saying: ‘I have kept my agreement. I killed only five. Fear killed the others.’
     “This legend is a true parable of life.” Disease may kill thousands of people, but thousands more die because they are overwhelmed by fear. When we look to the future with fear, expecting the worst rather than with confidence expecting the best, we become crippled with anxiety and paralyzed with worry. From the time we are born until the day we die, fear often casts its dark shadow on our lives. Fear crushes our spirit, breaks down our immune system, weakens our will, and renders us powerless in our battle with the enemy. Fear strangles our joy and destroys our dreams.
     Fear is a strong emotion closely related to anxiety and worry. It often occurs as the result of some threat, situation, or danger that is apparently unavoidable. One thing we learned from COVID-19 is how suddenly a pandemic can strike fear in the heart of an entire nation. People became fearful that each person they met might be carrying the coronavirus and infect them. Each cough created anxiety that they might have the virus. Every time they sneezed, their hearts beat faster. They continually asked themselves, “Do I have the virus?  And if I do, is it my death sentence?”—By Mark Finley, From Hope for Troubled Times.

Quote: “How much joy we might bring into our life here below if we would but make these promises our own. As we talk of the mansions that Christ is preparing for us, we shall forget the petty annoyances that we meet day by day. It is our privilege to sing the songs of Zion now, to turn our eyes to the light, to bring hope into our hearts and into the hearts of others. God desires us to gather up His promises, that we may be strengthened and refreshed. Let us take our eyes from the curse, and fix them on the grace so abundantly provided.”—By Ellen White, Signs of the Times, July 27, 1904.

Signs of the Times has prepared a special issue regarding COVID 19. Read it FREE online, and share with your friends:  ***************************

A Song of the Heart

We can sing away our cares easier than we can reason them away. The birds are the earliest to sing in the morning; the birds are more without care than anything else I know of. Sing in the evening. Singing is the last thing that robins do. When they have done their daily work, when they have flown their last flight, and picked up their last morsel of food and cleaned their bills on the napkin of a bough, then on the top twig they sing one song of praise. I know they sleep sweeter for it.

O, that we might sing every evening and morning, and let song touch song all the way thru! O, that we could put song under our burden! O, that we could extract the sense of sorrow by song! Then sad things would not poison so much. When troubles come, go at them with song. When griefs arise, sing them down. Lift the voice of praise against cares. Praise God by singing; that will lift you above trials of every sort. Attempt it. They sing in heaven; and among God’s people on earth, song is the appropriate language of Christian feeling. ―Henry Ward Beecher.

Compiled by Dale Galusha. Please pass this newsletter on to others.