Kingdom of Adventistan

Adventism & Freedom of Conscience

Humble Disciple

In 7th Day Adventism, is one allowed to disagree with a certain belief and still be a member in good standing?

For example, what if one believes that the six days of creation were six epochs of time, rather than six 24-hour days, even though Ellen White claimed to have seen in a vision that they were literal 24 hour days? 

This is from the Desire of Ages:

In the kingdoms of the world, position meant self-aggrandizement. The people were supposed to exist for the benefit of the ruling classes. Influence, wealth, education, were so many means of gaining control of the masses for the use of the leaders. The higher classes were to think, decide, enjoy, and rule; the lower were to obey and serve. Religion, like all things else, was a matter of authority. The people were expected to believe and practice as their superiors directed. The right of man as man, to think and act for himself, was wholly unrecognized...

In matters of conscience the soul must be left untrammeled. No one is to control another's mind, to judge for another, or to prescribe his duty. God gives to every soul freedom to think, and to follow his own convictions. “Every one of us shall give account of himself to God.” No one has a right to merge his own individuality in that of another. In all matters where principle is involved, “let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.” Romans 14:12, 5. In Christ's kingdom there is no lordly oppression, no compulsion of manner. The angels of heaven do not come to the earth to rule, and to exact homage, but as messengers of mercy, to co-operate with men in uplifting humanity. 
https://m.egwwritings.org/en/book/130.2654#2680

You wrote somewhere that you attend an adventist church. Why don't you ask your pastor? Only he would know if you can still be in good standing. 

I have a real problem with saying that Gen 1 is incorrect which references evening and morning, and shows 24 hours, and then saying this or that part  of the Bible are true. How do you know what is true or not?  For evolution, if you are talking about evolution, to be true, death must not be a wage of sin, but a natural occurrence. So believing that there was an evolutionary progression  causes way more problems. 

1 hour ago, Theophilus said:

You wrote somewhere that you attend an adventist church. Why don't you ask your pastor? Only he would know if you can still be in good standing. 

I have a real problem with saying that Gen 1 is incorrect which references evening and morning, and shows 24 hours, and then saying this or that part  of the Bible are true. How do you know what is true or not?  For evolution, if you are talking about evolution, to be true, death must not be a wage of sin, but a natural occurrence. So believing that there was an evolutionary progression  causes way more problems. 

Are you familiar with the writings of Hugh Ross?

11 hours ago, Humble Disciple said:

Are you familiar with the writings of Hugh Ross?

No, but I am familiar with the writings of Moses.

Genesis says evening and morning--. I don't need someone to interpret that for me.  And if we add evolution to that.  we still have the problem of death before sin.

You are more than welcome to believe whatever you want.

On 1/8/2022 at 3:58 PM, Theophilus said:

Genesis says evening and morning--. I don't need someone to interpret that for me.  And if we add evolution to that.  we still have the problem of death before sin.

You are more than welcome to believe whatever you want.

Hugh Ross is not an evolutionist. He promotes day-age creationism. The Hebrew words which translate as evening and morning can also mean ending and beginning, just as the word which translates as day can mean an indefinite period of time. 

Given that there seems to be more Adventist magazines dedicated to questioning the official positions of the General Conference than there are defending them, I would guess that freedom of conscience is important in Adventism today.