The Bible Says?

Gregory Matthews

• Moderators
On 5/3/2022 at 10:54 PM, Gregory Matthews said:

Olive Hemmings of Washington Adventist University suggest four Biblical texts that are often misused.  See:

https://atoday.org/four-misused-texts-about-biblical-interpretation/on/

Not taking me back to that article. I did have a chance to take a quick view a few days ago when it did bring to that article. This is my standing on one leg reply to the little I've seen. We need to remember that there are three correct ways of using scripture. First, of course is exegesis: What did it mean to the original writer and audience. Second is historical analogy, applying the principles to a similar situation. The third is a homiletical usage, where the words, even when separated from the original context can still be used to make a point. (There is a fourth way, just taking the words out of context to try to force the text to say something off the wall.) 

When we see earlier texts quoted by later Bible writers we find them doing very little exegesis. They tend to quote the text by drawing analogies to apply the principles to their situations, or use the words because they fit a situation. Same with Mrs. White. She comes right out and tells us that exegesis is OUR job. Two big mistakes that we make is to look at the prophets use of the text and either force that to be the exegesis of the text. This is a huge mistake the more conservative among us tend to do. The other mistake, which is often done by the more liberal among us is see how a Bible writer or Mrs. White quote does not fit the exegesis of the text and use it against the later writer. Now I am not positive that this article did this; again I only had a quick view. But the above are thoughts to keep in mind as you read this and similar articles. 

• Moderators

GHansen:  Thank you for pointing that out.  There seems to be a problem with the URL that I cannot fix.   :(

• Moderators

Try the following:

1)  Click on the following:

https://atoday.org/?msclkid=ae17618acf8e11ecbfbf715730682c28

2)   On that page, click the link to the article on the 4 Biblical texts that are misused.

NOTE:  You may have to wait until the rotating links comes to the one on the Biblical texts.

• Like 3

• Members

I actually enjoyed the article from that first post that is not the real article your trying to have us read! It's a 2 part article!!