Kingdom of Adventistan

General Conference 2022

Gregory Matthews

• Moderators

1)  Thanks to Spectrum for the above photo image.

2)  General Conference 2022 is coming.   I am holding this thread in reserve for future news releases about that session.

• Gregory Matthews locked this topic
  • Gregory Matthews unlocked this topic
  • Moderators

I have not read the agenda in depth, yet.  But, I have skimmed over major parts of it.

I question whether or not it is really necessary to proscribe and prescribe in detail some (not all) of what is in the agenda.  In my perspective local congregations are often properly able to make decisions without being told in specific detail what to do.

Example:  Congregations are to be told that a request from a member to be removed from membership is to be voted either yes or no, but it is not to be discussed.  AS a former pastor, we always discussed such before we voted.

As a former pastor, my approach to the Church Manual, was that it advised the local congregation as what to do and what not to do.  I did not consider it to be mandatory.  Some may consider that position to be problematic.  I did not as that still left the Local Conference with the authority to become involved with any congregation that "departed from the faith."

• Members
On 5/20/2022 at 9:13 AM, Gregory Matthews said:

I question whether or not it is really necessary to proscribe and prescribe in detail some (not all) of what is in the agenda.  In my perspective local congregations are often properly able to make decisions without being told in specific detail what to do.

Example:  Congregations are to be told that a request from a member to be removed from membership is to be voted either yes or no, but it is not to be discussed.  AS a former pastor, we always discussed such before we voted.

As a former pastor, my approach to the Church Manual, was that it advised the local congregation as what to do and what not to do.  I did not consider it to be mandatory.  Some may consider that position to be problematic.  I did not as that still left the Local Conference with the authority to become involved with any congregation that "departed from the faith."

I'm in agreement!!

I don't believe I've ever been to a General Conference??

• Gregory Matthews pinned this topic
  • Moderators

The published General conference agenda calls for a vote to require SDA congregations to establish the position of Spirit of Prophecy Writings Coordinator, who will also serve on the local Church Board.  I have some concerns about this position:

·         I think that the local church is wise enough to determine the leadership positions that they need to function.  I do not think that this is a subject that needs to be decided by the General Conference meeting in session.

·        It would seem to me that the local congregational pastor would have the responsibility to address this issue, if the local congregation needed such addressed.

·        The membership if the SDA church is divided on some aspects of the relationship that EGW and her writings should have to the Church at large.  I cannot assume that every person who might be placed in this position would have the knowledge and wisdom to properly address it. 

·        This has the potential to cause conflict between the doctrinal position of this coordinator and the local pastor.

·        I believe that it is highly likely the Christian world at large will consider this positon to indicate that the SDA Church is a sect that places the writings of EGW above that of the Bible.

·        I consider it to be ludicrous to advocate for this positon when there is no call to place a person in a position to advocate for the primacy of the Bible in understanding our doctrinal beliefs.

In brief, my personal position is:  This is the most ill-conceived recommendation that I have seen from the General Conference.  It should be soundly rejected.

A rejection of this is not a rejection of Ellen White:

·        We are the denomination that we are today largely due to the leadership advice that Ellen white gave us during our developing years.

·        Our early leaders studied the Bible in depth to determine our doctrines.

·        Ellen White gave us wise advice as to our mission to the secular world and in developing our administrative structure.

·        We are indebted to her advice in our focus on world-wide missions, media ministry, medical ministry and in publishing our ministry magazines and books.  We would not be where we are today in these areas if it had not been for the advice of Ellen white.

·        God used her in our developing years.  But, this proposal is short-sighted and should be rejected.

• Moderators

If you want to know how the following joke is related to the coming General Conference, click on the Spectrum link that I will enter.

https://spectrummagazine.org/interviews/2022/announcing-global-adventist-conversations

There’s an old joke about the pope and a rabbi. 

The chief rabbi of the largest synagogue in Jerusalem goes to the Vatican to have a conversation with the pope. During their chat, the pope pulls out a telephone, dials a number, and has a very quick conversation. 

After the call the rabbi asks, “Who was that?” 

And the pope replies, “That was God. Do you want to call?”

The rabbi shrugs and says, “Why not?” 

Well, the pope cautions, “Are you sure, it costs $50,000 per minute?” 

The rabbi waves him off, “Never mind, that’s too expensive.” 

A year later the pope visits Jerusalem. The rabbi picks him up from the airport and on the long drive to his home, the rabbi casually calls up God and all three of them chat leisurely. 

When the rabbi hangs up, the pope says, “That was incredible. I’ve never spoken to God that long. How in the world can you afford it? 

The rabbi replies, “Oh, it’s only 50 cents.” 

The pope is doubly shocked. “How can that be?”

The rabbi replies, “Here it’s a local call.”

I was supposed to be the last Friday   But caught COVID (very mild as am vaccined)  

• Moderators

The Nominating Committee has recommended Ted Wilson for GC President.  The final decision was made by a vote of the delegates.  The Chair did not allow for any discussion prior to the vote.  In the final vote, 1,284 delegates voted for Ted Wilson and 431 voted against him.  Ted Wilson will now serve for an additional three (3) years until the next General Conference Session in 2025.

See:

https://spectrummagazine.org/news/2022/ted-n-c-wilson-reelected-third-term-gc-president