Kingdom of Adventistan

Why are you an Adventist? or What do you like about Adventism?

Humble Disciple

I am not a baptized Adventist but I do regularly attend a Seventh-Day Adventist church. I feel drawn to Adventism for several reasons, in no particular order. 

The doctrines of soul sleep and annihilationism seem more rational than the doctrines of the innate immortality of the soul and eternal conscious torment in hell.  

The writings of Ellen White provide much-needed clarity to the meaning of scripture. Her writings are the "lesser-light" which point to the "greater-light" of the Bible.

The Saturday Sabbath seems to be the Biblical day of worship. The first Christians in the New Testament continued worshiping on Saturday. 

There are so many nice people at my local Adventist church, and you've got to love sharing those fellowship meals after service gets over. 

• Like 2

I would honestly like to know the reasons why people are Adventist or what they like about Adventism compared to other churches. 

HD, The reasons you go to SDA church are commendable. Fellowship is an important element of being Christian. What do you like about Adventism is a good question. Consider reading the Tyndale Commentary on Romans to balance your study of E.G. White. If you are feeling ambitious, Cranfield's Shorter Commentary on Romans is a good one.

Blessings on your journey.

9 hours ago, GHansen said:

HD, The reasons you go to SDA church are commendable. Fellowship is an important element of being Christian. What do you like about Adventism is a good question. Consider reading the Tyndale Commentary on Romans to balance your study of E.G. White. If you are feeling ambitious, Cranfield's Shorter Commentary on Romans is a good one.

Blessings on your journey.

As I'm sure you're aware, Martin Luther taught the doctrine of soul sleep, likely to counteract the Roman Catholic teachings of praying for the dead and praying to Mary and the saints. 

7 hours ago, Humble Disciple said:

As I'm sure you're aware, Martin Luther taught the doctrine of soul sleep, likely to counteract the Roman Catholic teachings of praying for the dead and praying to Mary and the saints. 

"Soul sleep" as taught by Luther was different than what SDA teach. One example is his interpretation of "God is not the God of the dead but of the living" (Mt 22:32). He understood this verse to mean that believers who die are not actually dead but still living. He understood death as a sleep in which people are still alive but unaware of their surroundings.

Soul sleep is not a doctrine I would call salvific. Watchtower people believe it but reject the deity of Christ. Of course, I'm not sure one must believe in the trinity to be saved, either. 

What I most appreciate about Adventism is the health message. EGW's observations about diet, for example, continue to be validated by modern science. Nathan Pritikin, the Jewish man who greatly influenced therapeutic nutrition, considered her inspired.

22 minutes ago, GHansen said:

He understood death as a sleep in which people are still alive but unaware of their surroundings.

How exactly is this different from the Adventist doctrine of soul sleep? 

3 hours ago, Humble Disciple said:

How exactly is this different from the Adventist doctrine of soul sleep? 

As far as I know, SDA do not believe that saved people are still alive in death. Exactly what Luther believed about the state of the dead is clouded by the different remarks he made about it. You might ask Chaplain Matthews exactly what SDA believe on the topic.

Luther wrote beautiful and insightful things about salvation in Christ. His views on other topics are interesting at times.

HD, Here are quotes from Luther about death:

"Therefore let us agree on this description of death: Death has a soul and a body. The body is the destruction of death for the soul, and the death of the soul is the fear and horror of death. But if the soul of death has died, the death of the body is a sleep. Here in Abraham was the death of the soul, because he had no doubt whatever but was convinced beyond all doubt that Isaac had to be sacrificed and had to be killed at that moment. But whenever a human being stands in fear of death, that is, has the conviction that he must die, then he feels the violence of real death to such an extent that he cannot hold up. Then he dies in the truest sense of the word, not when the separation of the soul from the body takes place."

Luther, M. (1999). Luther’s works, vol. 4: Lectures on Genesis: Chapters 21-25. (J. J. Pelikan, H. C. Oswald, & H. T. Lehmann, Eds.) (Vol. 4, p. 115). Saint Louis: Concordia Publishing House.

"But the bosom of Abraham where he holds and has embraced all the saints who died up to the death of Christ is the promise made to Abraham (Gen. 22:18): “In your Seed all the nations shall be blessed.”"

Luther, M. (1999). Luther’s works, vol. 4: Lectures on Genesis: Chapters 21-25. (J. J. Pelikan, H. C. Oswald, & H. T. Lehmann, Eds.) (Vol. 4, p. 311). Saint Louis: Concordia Publishing House. 

"But the bosom of Abraham where he holds and has embraced all the saints who died up to the death of Christ is the promise made to Abraham (Gen. 22:18): “In your Seed all the nations shall be blessed.”"

Luther, M. (1999). Luther’s works, vol. 4: Lectures on Genesis: Chapters 21-25. (J. J. Pelikan, H. C. Oswald, & H. T. Lehmann, Eds.) (Vol. 4, p. 311). Saint Louis: Concordia Publishing House.

• Moderators

The official teaching of the SDA Church is that the person in unconscious at death.  As understood by the majority of members, that means that at death the person is no longer alive.  However, the official teaching would allow for a person to believe that at death the person remains unconscious but alive.

In actual fact, in SDA history in Europe a major SDA leader (His name has slipped my mind.) believed that at death the person remained alive but unconscious.  He is now dead.  But, during his lifetime, he made a major contribution to the work of the SDA Chruch in Europe.  God clearly used him in major ways. 

2 hours ago, Gregory Matthews said:

The official teaching of the SDA Church is that the person in unconscious at death.  As understood by the majority of members, that means that at death the person is no longer alive.  However, the official teaching would allow for a person to believe that at death the person remains unconscious but alive.

In actual fact, in SDA history in Europe a major SDA leader (His name has slipped my mind.) believed that at death the person remained alive but unconscious.  He is now dead.  But, during his lifetime, he made a major contribution to the work of the SDA Chruch in Europe.  God clearly used him in major ways. 

What do you like about Adventism? 

• Moderators

I do not focus about what I see in Adventism.   It is human and imperfect.

Rather, my focus is on my perception that it is where God wants me to be.  If God ever wants me to be out of Adventism, I will be O.K. with that.

• Like 2

HD, Sorry about the double quote above. Here is another comment on death from Luther:

"But now another question arises. Since it is certain that the souls are living and are in peace, what kind of life or rest is this? But this question is too lofty and too difficult for us to be able to define it. For God did not want us to know this in this life. Thus it is enough for us to know that souls do not go out of their bodies into the danger of tortures16 and punishments of hell, but that there is ready for them a chamber in which they may sleep in peace."

Luther, M. (1999). Luther’s works, vol. 4: Lectures on Genesis: Chapters 21-25. (J. J. Pelikan, H. C. Oswald, & H. T. Lehmann, Eds.) (Vol. 4, p. 313). Saint Louis: Concordia Publishing House.

7 hours ago, Gregory Matthews said:

I do not focus about what I see in Adventism.   It is human and imperfect.

Rather, my focus is on my perception that it is where God wants me to be.  If God ever wants me to be out of Adventism, I will be O.K. with that.

There are likely certain teachings or aspects of 7th Day Adventism that you like or agree with. Also, if you're an Adventist pastor, you're pastoring a church which claims to be God's remnant for the end times, rather than just another denomination. 

• Moderators

I am SDA clergy.  In the early days of my life, I was employed as a pastor by the Potomac Conference.

However, during most of my working life I was credentialed by either the North American Division or the General Conference.

My most recent credentials have come from the Pacific Union Conference.

2 hours ago, Gregory Matthews said:

I am SDA clergy.  In the early days of my life, I was employed as a pastor by the Potomac Conference.

However, during most of my working life I was credentialed by either the North American Division or the General Conference.

My most recent credentials have come from the Pacific Union Conference.

Do you personally believe, as SDA clergy, that the 7th Day Adventist church is the remnant? If so, what does it mean to you that it's the remnant? 

• Moderators

*  I believe that God has given the SDA Church a mission and a ministry in End Time.

*   I believe that if we are not in End Time, we are very near to it.

*  I believe that at least in North America we are not organized as a denomination to accomplish what God wants us to do in End Time.

*  I believe that as the SDA Chruch fails to accomplish the mission given to it by God, that God will use other members of God's Chruch, which are outside of the SDA denomination, to do what God wants accomplished in End Time.

*  Other specific thoughts on this have been published by The Adventist Review and in other places.  I do not see a need to re-post them here and now.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gregory Matthews said:

*  I believe that God has given the SDA Church a mission and a ministry in End Time.

*   I believe that if we are not in End Time, we are very near to it.

*  I believe that at least in North America we are not organized as a denomination to accomplish what God wants us to do in End Time.

*  I believe that as the SDA Chruch fails to accomplish the mission given to it by God, that God will use other members of God's Chruch, which are outside of the SDA denomination, to do what God wants accomplished in End Time.

*  Other specific thoughts on this have been published by The Adventist Review and in other places.  I do not see a need to re-post them here and now.  

What do you believe about Ellen White? 

• Moderators

My position on Ellen White has been published many times, in denominational publications and in other places to include this forum.

On a more general position that is not limited to Ellen white, I fully support the position took by Calvin Rock in a 1991 article published in The Adventist Review.  My support of his article has been published.

Again, on a more general position not limited to Ellen White, my views have been published in a 1990 article in the non-SDA publication Military Chaplains' Review.

My views have been posted in this forum, and The Adventist Review has published them in 2020 and in 2021 as well as in other times.

My views on EGW were formulated in part by my study under Robert Oleson, previous head of the EG White Estate.  They are well known.  They have been published.  This forum does not have the space for me to collect everything that I have said over the past 60 years and put it into one post.

• Moderators

Humble Disciple:  You asked "What do you believe about Ellen White? "

What matters is snot what I believe.  What is truth is what matters.

If you are confused and do not know what to believe study what she said about her writings, and if needed seek additional help from a pastor with whom you have built a relationship.

If, on the other hand, you are not confused, why do you question others as to what they believe?

4 hours ago, Gregory Matthews said:

Humble Disciple:  You asked "What do you believe about Ellen White? "

What matters is snot what I believe.  What is truth is what matters.

If you are confused and do not know what to believe study what she said about her writings, and if needed seek additional help from a pastor with whom you have built a relationship.

If, on the other hand, you are not confused, why do you question others as to what they believe?

This is a thread for discussing the reasons why people are 7th Day Adventist. The unique place Adventists give to Ellen White, her visions, and her writings, would be part of such a discussion, why they consider her to be a prophet or God's messenger. 

• Moderators

No one is limiting your discussion.

HD, Sr. White's writings include her writings on health. What do you think about those? Are you a vegetarian or vegan? Do you use dairy or eggs from only animals that you know to be healthy. Do you exercise, avoid caffeinated beverages, alcohol, and tobacco? Many SDA do not follow the health message. Only about half, if that many, are vegetarians, fewer are vegans. Obesity is not unusual, even among church leaders. I once saw a panel discussion which included church president Ted Wilson. He looked fit and vigorous. The other three were trying to hide their extra 30-50 pounds with suits from Big & Tall. Rather sad, really. With obesity often comes various other problems. The SDA health message is among its greatest gifts to the world but many don't follow it.

As a side note, Chaplain Matthews, from what I can tell is/was the salt of the earth. He spent his ministry serving sinners rather than trying to prop up half dead SDA congregations. Good on him.

• Moderators

I am reminded of an influential SDA clergy person who could shed some weight.  What most do not know is the battle that he has had with cancer, which has affected his weight.  We must be careful of judging others. 

• Moderators

Also, there is another issue:

I have spent a big part of my life at 6 feet tall.

At my present advanced age, I am a good 2 inches shorter than I once was.  However, I remain at the same weight.

• Like 2