Church?

Gregory Matthews

Interesting. But one of the problems I've always had with any of the model "churches" being advocated, be it a group meeting in a traditional church building, or some other model (small groups, home churches, etc.), is the default expectation that the true Christian must be an extreme extrovert - inviting people into his home, attending parties, constantly mingling and networking, etc. This extroversion is often called "the method of Jesus", and Jesus is often held out as the extrovert par excellence - the unspoken subtext is that the introvert has to learn "Jesus' methods" and become an extrovert - as if introversion is a character flaw which must be cured and which must be fixed.

I spent the better part of my 50 years of life thus far trying to combat my introversion, using a variety of techniques, from prayer and meditation, to "fake it until you make it", throwing myself into situations and circumstances where I had no choice but to act extroverted. The toll it took on my mental health trying to be someone I am not led to several bouts of depression, anxiety and other ills and woes. It was only at age 50 I realized that the metaphorical leopard cannot change his spots and no amount of parties, cocktails, conferences, small groups, mingling, networking and chatting will make me an extrovert. I can no more become an extrovert than a man of 1.7m can become 2m tall.

[In the context of your post, God does not call upon you to be what you are not.  God is willing to use you as you are.  I am an extreme introvert, believe it or not.  God has found ways to use me--Gregory Matthews.]

On 6/7/2022 at 12:17 PM, pierrepaul said:

[In the context of your post, God does not call upon you to be what you are not.  God is willing to use you as you are.  I am an extreme introvert, believe it or not.  God has found ways to use me--Gregory Matthews.]

Thank you - for me the shuttering of the church buildings was a godsend. In the past I would work all week with people, and then on Saturday I was expected to spend the better part of the day with even more people - sabbath school, church service, potluck dinner - and sometimes an afternoon programme or an evening social event. By the end of the day I'd be psychologically and emotionally drained.

In March and April 2020 I discovered the joys of sabbath rest - a quiet Saturday with rest from work and rest from people.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I will give a personal experience:

My most enjoyable assignment while in the Army was to the teaching faculty of the Chaplain School.   As I said, I am an extreme introvert.  Yet, I was teaching graduate students.  In all of my classes interaction with students was welcomed.

*  My wife had to learn that after I came home each day, I needed from one to two hours to relax before I could begin normal family interaction.  She was able to give me that.

*  There were other times when I was not teaching students but producing instructional materials.   I told my supervisor that I was good for about 6 hours of such work.  After that I was good for little.  I would not go home.  But, after 6 hours of such I was done for the day.   They told me fine, if I could produce in 6 hours what they expected they had no problem.

*  I accomplished my task.   That resulted in me being called upon to produce instructional materials for the program training the Chaplain Assistants.

• Like 2