Kingdom of Adventistan

Spirit of Prophecy Writings Coordinator

GHansen

"Spirit of Prophecy Writings Coordinator—The church elects a Spirit of Prophecy 24 writings coordinator with the responsibility of promoting the importance and right use of the 25 Spirit of Prophecy writings, in collaboration with the publishing ministries coordinator."

I read the "Spirit of Prophecy" as a young Adventist. Thirty pages/night. One can get through a lot of books at that rate. I copied hundreds of statements on 3 by 5 cards. I wonder what is going to happen  when people start reading books like "Gospel Workers," "Evangelism," "Fundamentals of Christian Education," "Christian Service," "Welfare Ministry,"  "Counsels on Health," "Counsels on Diet and Foods?" People are going to discover that the church, including the ministry, have gone off the rails. They might discover that many of the pastors have jaded views of EGW. The Sabbath service would require an almost entire reform. Church elders would be doing a lot of the preaching. Non soul winning pastors might be dismissed. Considering that, according to EGW, the pastor's primary responsibility is soul winning, are people going to be comfortable paying a pastor's salary when he baptizes ~ 8 people a year, including children of members?

This coordinator is going to have to be pretty slippery to explain away what the people will find in EGW's writings.

My remark above about pastor's was made in light of what I observed in Glendale when the Boston Movement came to town. In a matter of months, they had hundreds of young people, many college students and young professionals getting baptized and attending their church. The Boston Movement required a lot of their members, mandatory tithing, special offerings which amounted to 4 times their tithe, complete lifestyle change for unmarried members. What they emphasized was establishing a Christian home based on chastity. One SDA pastor said he was ashamed of himself as a soulwinner. One problem was that most of the members were inactive. Boston Movement required its members to disciple others. The entire SDA denomination would require reform to line up with what EGW wrote 

SDA dietary reform is simply health advice. Regardless of where it came from Counsels on Diet and Foods  contains a lot of good ideas such as:

Eat two meals a day

No in between meal snacks

Avoid flesh foods

Avoid milk and eggs unless obtained from healthy animals

Avoid hardened cheese

Avoid grease of all kinds

No caffeinated beverages

I believe Ted Wilson follows this program. He has a vigorous appearance. How is the Spirit of Prophecy coordinator going to implement this program in local churches? I imagine if people are going to read EGW, they will be expected to follow what she said.

The SOP coordinator should introduce members to EGW books like Medical Ministry, Counsels on Health , and Ministry of Healing.  In those volumes the reader will learn that Jesus spent more time healing than he did preaching. She elaborates on this by saying that ~a Christian Physician can accomplish ten times more as a missionary for God than one who merely preaches. The use of the word merely seems almost like a put down. I was blessed to have Dr. Sherman Nagel as a teacher. He was a surgeon and an ordained minister, worked in Africa. Truly a great man.

She also has some things to say about physician remuneration which might surprise some people.

• Like 2

• Members
7 hours ago, GHansen said:

She also has some things to say about physician remuneration which might surprise some people.

Can you elaborate on that??

11 hours ago, phkrause said:

Can you elaborate on that??

Not much to elaborate upon. I'm trying to imagine how an SOP coordinator might function in a local church. Some things EGW wrote in her day might surprise readers of today. For example, her vision for Christian physicians was not one of millionaires with outsize influence or control of local congregations. The College of Medical Evangelists was to train medical evangelists who used their influence and skill to lead people to Christ. Her remarks about physicians earning the same salary as ministers need to be considered in the context of then and now. Pastors don't enter the work force with a quarter million plus of debt as do some young physicians.

SOP coordinators are going to meet a lot of unexpected questions and comments if they really read EGW. Unless they want to be perceived as nut job cultists, they will need to be well informed. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
On 6/18/2022 at 5:52 AM, GHansen said:

The SOP coordinator should introduce members to EGW books like Medical Ministry, Counsels on Health , and Ministry of Healing.  In those volumes the reader will learn that Jesus spent more time healing than he did preaching. She elaborates on this by saying that ~a Christian Physician can accomplish ten times more as a missionary for God than one who merely preaches. The use of the word merely seems almost like a put down. I was blessed to have Dr. Sherman Nagel as a teacher. He was a surgeon and an ordained minister, worked in Africa. Truly a great man.

Indeed. Also, should introduce her to the 4 chapters: The origin of EvilWhy was Sin Permitted, Gethsemane, and It is Finished   (and I wish the church would put these 4 chapters together under one cover. This would be a very powerful missionary book). While I forgot the order of the first two chapters, one of these was written while the Great Controversy idea was new to her and is full of the wonder and excitement of learning something new, the other after she had years of thought and meditation on it and a more mature approach. Thus the strong and weak points of each complement each other. Gethsemane is powerful looking at what Jesus went through, and the chapter "It is Finished" was by far the best to flow from her pen. Her crowning chapter. 

It would do you, and me, and the whole church well to read these four chapters together in one setting at least once a year, and pastors twice a year. Also, another important enough to read at least once a year (twice for pastors) is the introduction to the Great Controversy, and her essay on inspiration from Selected Messages, as well as (Not EGW) the essay "The Role of Israel in Old Testament Prophecy" in SDABC vol. 4. 

With how the church was talking about sending out mass mailings of "Great Controversy" I'd like them to include some things Mrs. White wrote about how difficult it was to write about her concerns about the Catholic church, but not be anti-Catholic and her fear of being more anti-Catholic than she wanted to be. I love what Great Controversy teaches, but much can get lost in what she described in those writings. Also, she writes about the last day events on two levels: One is the specific application of the role of possible Sunday Laws and the Sabbath-Sunday situation, but she also writes on a larger principle level on the issues of liberty of conscience and no force. Fortunately, we Seventh-day Adventists have an auto correct located both on the nerves that connect the eyes to the brain and the ears to the brain. When ever we read about her larger principles about individual liberty and allowing people to follow what they understand and the principle of no force, our auto correct automatically corrects it to read "Sunday laws, and you think you can use the law and court system and punishment to force Sunday on us, but we have a higher law and highest court the worst punishment of all, hell, if you don't accept the Sabbath." and the corrected message is what reaches our brain. 

While I love Great Controversy, I fear that what a lot of Adventists like about it is how they can use it in a very anti-Catholic way and to use the higher law, the higher court and the punishment of hell as threats to force people to keep the Sabbath. This mindset makes the Great Controversy useless.

• 2 weeks later...

I also wonder how many "Spirit of Prophecy" coordinators will talk about the "amalgamation of man and beast observed in certain races of men", EGW's assertion that volcanoes are caused by coal fires, and her assertion that certain people alive in her day would live to see the second coming.