Christian Nationalism

Gregory Matthews

• Moderators

Christian Nationalism:  I do not intend to get into political discussion in this forum.  However, Christian Nationalism is the coming buzzword.  I will suggest that regardless of our individual political views it may be important to understand what is meant by that term.   The following article is helpful in that respect.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-says-americans-kneel-to-god-and-god-alone-as-support-for-christian-nationalism-grows-among-republicans/arAAZVj3Xocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=77a4c2ee8b064455a9c411295907181b

• Moderators

catholic Europe (small "c" catholic, thus while awkward I did not start with the capital "C") your religion was basically were you were born. Whether one of the Eastern Orthodox or other eastern empire forms of Christianity, or Western or Catholic religion, or Islam with pockets of Jews. As the reformation came, they picked their own territories, so again your religion was where you were born. 

America was where some of the smaller subgroups tried to get some territory for their faith. However, in New England Roger Williams came with a novel idea; the concept of religious freedom. Prior to Williams, religious freedom meant the right for you to practice your religion in the territory of your religion. But Williams divorced religion from geography and politics. Apparently William Penn was hoping that Pennsylvania would have been a Quaker state, but found too few Quakers to settle the land, so he took the Roger William's idea of religious freedom. Not sure if Williams affected this, but we even start to see this being a new view of America when Maryland was founded as a Catholic state, but their original settlement had the civic buildings on one side of town, then came the homes, and on the other side of town was the Church. 

When Thomas Jefferson became president, people expected him to bring religious persecution and confiscate their Bibles. However, the churches discovered that this separation of church and state, instead of limiting religion, gave the church more freedom than ever before. There was an open market place on religion. People could learn and choose what they found to be the most convincing. 

Jefferson/Madison's views of freedom were deepened by the age of Jackson where it was applied to the common people/ well, the common white people. After what happened to his wife, Jackson did not see women as slaves to their assigned place in life, but no matter what your past you can change and become respectable. 

Others thinking of Jackson's ideas increased the asking if this should only apply to the common while man and limit women to only respectability. Why not apply this freedom to all people, men and women, all races and creeds. We have been spending the years since trying to reach this goal. 

Jefferson/Madison's view of freedom was based in freedom through good laws. In France they had a revolution, but their view of freedom was freedom from all law. They carried over the catholic Europe idea of a land religion, but their religion would be secular humanism. With the reign of terror they came to the idea that freedom was only for the enlightened, and that the common person needed to be forced 

Christian Nationalism is an attempt to return to catholic Europe, the Europe that Americans revolted against and set up the country without king or pope. Too many of our liberals are trying to transform the United States into French Revolution Europe. Too many of us have forgotten a little something called the American Revolution. 

I support the line in the pledge of Allegiance " One nation, under God" as meaning that there is a limit to my allegiance that the Government refuses to thread upon, that is my conscience. It does not say "under Jesus" or "under the Judio-Christian God" or even "Under Allah" for that matter. An atheist may have his reason be his god. The Nazi pledge was to Hitler. The Communist's pledge is to the party, other pledges are likewise a total submitment to some idea or person or another. Our pledge is to the flag and the republic which carries the Roger Williams, Thomas Jefferson views of liberty of conscience. However, I have sadly heard that Michael Flynn has interpreted the words "Under God" to mean  that we are one nation with one religion. This is very scary, and is the Europe that our founding fathers risked and gave their lives to be free from. 

• Members

Rachel Maddow did a great piece on Christian Nationalism on her Monday night show last week! If I can find it I will post it.

• 2 months later...