Kingdom of Adventistan

1st Muslim congressman thrills crowd in Dearborn

1st Muslim congressman thrills crowd in Dearborn

Quote:
Ellison, a Minnesota Democrat elected to the U.S. House in November, has been the center of a national debate in recent weeks over Islam and its role in politics. Ellison has said he would take his oath of office on the Quran, the Muslim holy book, igniting a storm of criticism from some commentators.

U.S. Rep. Virgil Goode, a Republican from Virginia, said in a letter to constituents this month that the election of Ellison and other Muslims poses a danger to the country.

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:
Ellison has said he would take his oath of office on the Quran, the Muslim holy book, igniting a storm of criticism from some commentators.

A storm of criticism? Whatever for? For wanting to swear an oath on his own holy book, instead of that of another religion which he does not follow?

There are already provisions under the law for Jewish people to swear on the Old Testament part of the Bible only, or for Quakers (who don't believe in swearing oaths at all, see Matthew 5:34) to make an affirmation instead.

But if a Muslim tries to exercise the same degree of religious freedom, the sky is falling.

Whatever happened to the Golden Rule? How would we like it if we were forced to swear an oath on the Quran, or the writings of Buddha, or some other religious book that we do not subscribe to?

aldona

Radical Muslims have declared war on America ... Why in the world would we NOT be afraid of them invading our leadership?

You usually don't encourage your enemies to have access to your leadership and laws.

So enemies of the nation are defined by their religion now? Sounds like something about the end times that I was taught somewhere. poke

You can be a US citizen, and work to uphold the laws of the US and represent your fellow Americans in Congress, but if you are a Muslim, then you automatically fall into the category of "enemy."

Looks like critics of the "war on terror" are right...It really isn't a war against terrorism. It IS a war on Islam.

aldona

Sharia law is not exactly the beacon of religious liberty.

Pat Robertson is a fundamental Christian who has written that he favors a national Sunday law. Pat Robertson also ran for President. Should have Adventists discriminated against Pat Robertson because of his religious beliefs? OF COURSE WE SHOULD HAVE!!!

Now if a Muslim that believes in Sharia law runs for public office, should Adventists discriminate against him or her because of their religious beliefs? OF COURSE WE SHOULD!!!

Note: I have not seen Dearborn address the issue of Sharia law.

I am not stating they are my enemy. I am saying that the Muslims themselves have declared war on America . I have no idea if this man is an enemy.I've not heard him speak. What I said was that we should be afraid of Muslims because they have declared war on the US. They claim THEIR religion is opposed to the US. THIS is THEIR words not mine. As far as they say ... We are the ones that THEIR religion opposes. We don't oppose their religion.

I do believe that we should be extra careful when a person belongs to a group that has declared war on this country.

However I am willing to give the man a chance. I am just explaining WHY there WOULD be FEAR.

And it is justified fear. It should cause us to be more careful with looking at his intentions.

Radical Muslims have declared war on America ... Why in the world would we NOT be afraid of them invading our leadership?

You usually don't encourage your enemies to have access to your leadership and laws.

Amen to that.

olger

Today it is the Muslims that have stated that they want to kill us. When someone threatens to kill you I think you have a right to be afraid of them and to take precautions. Unless you are saying that when a thief enters your house and threatens to kill you that you are suppose to just let them kill you.??

I am not aware of why you have placed Mexicans in this catagory. I am not aware that Mexicans have stated they want to kill Americans like the Muslims have. The only thing the Mexicans have done is to come to our country violating our laws and expecting to get all the benefits of this country like Social Security and an education while being here illegally. So ... Like any other criminal ... I would try to prevent lawlessness from them but I would not be afraid of them like I would the Muslims. For the Mexicans ... I think a tall sturdy fence would do the job. And those here illegeally should be treated like all criminals are in this country.

Now ... as far as Seventh Day Adventists ... I would be afraid of them like I would any other group of Christian. I think the Devil will work hard to deceive all Christian and SDAs included. So ... we have to be diligent to watch that evil does not creep into God's people. And the Devil will try to get all of us.

Should we be afraid of Muslims ? YES. Degrimm seems to imply that because God sits on the throne we don't need to be afraid of Muslims. I would disagree. We need to be cautious to do all we can to spread God message of love on this earth. The Evil one would love to cut our witness short. And he can do that through the Muslims. God will protect our salvation but HE will not protect our time on this earth. This earth is Satans territory.

God will allow the Great Controversy to come to completion but he expect us to be wise and do our job of witnessing God's Love to the people of this earth.

REDWOOD

Regarding "Since he was catholic there was a big scare if he won."

This is off topic. Catholics in this country have not threatened to kill all Americans like the Muslims have.

We need to be afraid of Muslims because they have called for ALL Americans to be killed.

Regarding "So enemies of the nation are defined by their religion now?"

I would define the enemies of the US as being those who have declared that ALL US citizens should be killed. I think that qualifies them as a group of people to be an enemy of the US.

Quote:
one day it will not be MEXICANS OR MUSLIMS people are

afraid of it will be SEVENTH DAY ADVETNIST

This is fear-mongering Adventist style. I wonder of the GC has a trademark on that??? saywa

Quote:
I REMEMBER when John Kennedy was runnng for president.

Since he was catholic there was a big scare if he won.

Good example. Let's remember what JFK said during the 1960 campain:

I believe in an America that is officially neither Catholic, Protestant nor Jewish -- where no public official either requests or accepts instructions on public policy from the Pope, the National Council of Churches or any other ecclesiastical source -- where no religious body seeks to impose its will directly or indirectly upon the general populace or the public acts of its officials -- and where religious liberty is so indivisible that an act against one church is treated as an act against all.

Should Muslims seeking public office do the same?

Dgrimm60 ... I think you miss the point. The point is that the Muslims are the enemy because they want Americans dead and have threatened us with death.

SDAs are not going to threaten the US people with death. And that is the criteria for calling someone an enemy of the US.

Dgrimm60 ... I think that perhaps your problem is that you got in on this topic a little late and did not read all the Posts.

If you would go back and read what was said ... you would find that the question originally posed was why would people be concerned and even fearful of a Muslim holding office.

As I outlined ... "radical" Muslims ARE to be feared because They have called for US to be killed. Therefore Like I said .... we should be concerned and pay more close attention to what the Muslim who is running has to say . The fact that he is a Muslim means that we should look far more closely at him but it does not disqualify him from being voted for.

Now ... the issue of the Mexicans is more clear also. The Mexican that are here legally are no problem. The many Mexicans that are here illegally should be treated like all other criminals and should not have access to our health/education/and Social Security systems. They are simply criminals and should be returned to their countries and then they could apply legally to enter this country like all other law abiding immigrants do.

I know this is a repeat for those that have read all the discussions on this topic but I have made it more concise for you.